A sitemap is where you list links to the various pages of your Magento 2 store. It is simply an outline of what your store contains, which directs web crawlers wherever you want them to go.
Sitemaps serve as a communication channel with search engines and facilitate website optimization by making navigation of your Magento store easier, and increasing its online visibility. It enables a search engine to navigate your entire Magento store easily. Magento 2 sitemap optimization is crucial as some search engines – such as Google, for instance – provide the ranking for both a Magento store and its content. This improves visibility. Not only does it help in SEO, it likewise makes your online store better organized. So, it is advisable to set up a sitemap before designing your Magento store.
Sitemap generation using Magento 2 is extremely easy; you can have it set up and its setting customized just in a minute. Sitemap updates are necessary whenever there are changes to your Magento store contents. This can be done automatically in Magento when you configure the settings.
Here’re the steps to be taken when generating sitemaps using Magento 2:
Step 1: Access the Sitemap Configuration Form
● Log-in and go to your admin area then click Stores from the sidebar.
● Select Configuration, click Catalog and then select XML Sitemap from the dropdown list.
Step 2: Set the Priority and Frequency of Every Section
Six sections will appear: Categories, Products, CMS Pages Options, Generation Settings, Sitemap File Limits and Search Engine Submission Settings. Each option has its own priority and frequency settings.
● Choose a desired frequency for each section. You may set it to Always, Weekly, Daily, Hourly, etc.
● Set desired priority for each section from 0.0 to 1.0. Zero is the lowest priority.
● In Products Options, set the image limit for inclusion in the sitemap by configuring the Add Images into Sitemap option. Choices available are Base Only, None, and All.
· In Generation Settings, you can also configure frequency, add error email recipient, sender and template. Don’t forget to set the start time.
Step 3: Enable or Activate Sitemap Generation
● Under the Generation Settings, select Yes to enable and set the desired time to generate.
● Set up your desired frequency to Daily, Monthly, or Weekly.
● Input the email that will receive the notifications in cases there are errors while generating the sitemap.
● Assign the store contact, which will transmit notifications for errors.
● Pick the template to utilize for the notifications.
Step 4: Set File Limits for Sitemap
● Under the section on Sitemap File Limit, input the maximum number of URLs for each file that you want to include. The default is 50,000.
● Enter the file size maximum to set the limit for each file.
Step 5: Allow Search Engines to Automatically Locate Your Sitemap
● In the Search Engine Submission Settings, pick ‘Yes’ to activate a robots.txt file that will offer directions for the search engines that will crawl your Magento 2 store. This will make it possible for them to find your store automatically. Click here to learn more about setting robots.txt for Magento 2.
Once all fields are done, click Save Config.
Follow these simple procedures and SEO of your Magento 2 store will show a great improvement. Search engines can now easily navigate your Magento store, and possibly rank it higher. This will provide more convenient access for your prospects.