A sitemap is where you list the links to the various pages of your Magento 2 store. It is simply an outline of what your store contains, which directs search engines wherever you want them to look. A sitemap serves as a communication channel with search engines and facilitates optimization by making navigation of your Magento store easier, and increasing its online visibility. It enables a search engine to navigate your entire Magento store easily. This is important in optimization work because some search engines, Google, for example, provides ranking for both the Magento store and its contents. This improves visibility. Not only does it help in SEO, it likewise makes your online store better organized. So, it is advisable to setup a sitemap before designing your Magento store.
Sitemap generation using Magento 2 is extremely easy; you can have it set up and its setting customized in just a minute. Sitemap updates are necessary whenever there are changes to your Magento store’s contents. This can be done automatically in Magento when you configure the settings.
Generating sitemaps using Magento 2 can be done through the following steps:
Step 1: Access the sitemap configuration form.
- Log-in and go to your admin area then click Stores from the sidebar.
- Select Configuration, click Catalog and then select XML Sitemap from the dropdown list.
Step 2: Set the priority and frequency of every section.
Three sections will appear: Categories, Products and CMS Pages. Each option has its own priority and frequency settings.
- Choose desired frequency for each section. You may set it to Always, Weekly, Daily, Hourly, etc.
- Set desired priority for each section from 0.0 to 1.0. Zero is the lowest priority.
- In Products Options, set the image limit for inclusion in the sitemap by configuring the Add Images into Sitemap option. Choices available are Base Only, None, and All.
- Once all fields are done, click Save Config.
Step 3: Enable or activate sitemap generation.
- Under the Generation Settings, select Yes to enable and set the desired time to generate.
- Set up your desired frequency to Daily, Monthly, or Weekly.
- Input the email that will receive the notifications in cases there are errors while generating the sitemap.
- Assign the store contact who will transmit notifications for errors.
- Pick the template to utilize for the notifications.
Step 4: Set file limits for sitemap.
- Under the section on Sitemap File Limit, input the maximum number of URLs for each file that you want to include. The default is 50,000.
- Enter the file size maximum to set the limit for each file.
Step 5: Allow search engines to automatically locate your sitemap.
- In the Search Engine Submission Settings, pick Yes to activate a robots.txt file that will offer directions for the search engines that will crawl your Magento 2 store. This will make it possible for them to find your store automatically.
- Finally, click Save Config.
Through these simple procedures, your store’s Search Engine Optimization will vastly improve. Search engines can now easily navigate your Magento store, and possibly rank it higher. This will, in turn, provide more convenient access for prospective clients.